Welcome to my Blog

This is the first time I have ever blogged so mistakes will likely be the order of the day! This past winter I committed myself to hiking the Vermont Long Trail (LT) in a series of day and overnight hikes over the course of hopefully no more than two summers. I have decided to create a blog to document my adventures and to provide a chance for any photos I take to be viewed by anyone interested in hiking in general or the LT specifically. I am a novice hiker whose prior experience basically consists of earning the hiking merit badge as a 12 year old. My father and I took five 10-mile hikes and one 20-mile hike as a part of earning the badge in 1974. Since that time I have hiked occasionally but never seriously. I was a long distance runner for many years and am in better than typical shape though in recent years my focus has been on weight lifting more than on endurance activity. I expect the trek to be challenging but manageable.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Stage 20 - LT Day Hike from Belvidere to Hazen's Notch



On Sunday, May 16, 2010, a beautiful sunny day with temperatures in the 60's, I was able to check off another stage on the Long Trail. I begin on Vt 118 in Eden Crossing and head north from the LT trailhead (1,320 ft above sea level). I cross several brooks, one named Frying Pan Brook (picture above center) and begin to climb steadily up Belvidere Mountain. At 2.6 miles I intersect with Forrester's Trail.

I turn right onto Forrester's trail and continue 0.2 miles to the summit of Belvidere (3,200 ft). A fire tower is maintained on the summit and I climb halfway up to take photos. You can see in all directions but the wind is probably blowing 30 miles per hour so I choose not the climb to the top. The picture above right shows an old Asbestos mining operation on the northeast side of the mountain. The picture below left shows Jay Peak and Big Jay that I will climb on my next LT hike.

From the summit I back track to the LT and then take Forrester's trail down the mountain a ways to make up for my failed attempt to hike the trail to the summit two weeks ago when the snow was too deep. In a short couple of hundred yards I arrive at the spot where I abandoned the attempt before. I'm surprised how close I was to the LT. Now I can officially say I've hiked the entire Forrester's trail.

Once again it is back to the LT and a turn north to hike 2.8 miles to Tillotson Camp. I descend Belvidere and, in the valley below, I come to a picturesque Beaver Pond and pause to enjoy the view. I then begin the climb up Tillotson to the Camp (2,560 ft). I've been to the camp before from the Frank Post Trailhead.

I now have a 0.6 mile climb to Tillotson Peak (2,980 ft). From Tillotson Peak I have a 2.1 mile down and up hike to the east summitt of Haystack Mountain (3,180 ft). This mountain is deceiving. I hike to what I think is the peak and, as I crest the rise, discover a higher peak ahead. I do this four times before I reach the summit. It does not feel like a mere 2.1 miles when I get there. At the top there is a 0.2 side trail called Haystack Summit Trail that I climb even though it is not an official side trail of the LT (it should be).

From the view atop Haystack I descend steeply 1.9 miles to Hazen's Notch where my car is parked (2,040 ft). Being the north slope, it is wet and slippery from the recent snow melt and I pick my way carefully. Several times I sit and slide down a rock slide as I'm sure my boots won't hold on the wet angled rocks.

As I approach the Notch I pass a young family hiking up. Once again a foolish father has his infant child in a chest sling and is hiking up wet rocks. I almost say something about how risky it will be coming down, but don't. His wife and 2-3 year old daughter are behind him and the youngster tells her mom that I'm a "nature man" as I pass them. 50 yards later, and still thinking about the danger of hiking wet rocks with a baby strapped to you, I hit a slick spot and my feet fly out from under me. I land on my side and slide a few feet. I'm fine but my right side is soaked. I say a little prayer that the father doesn't meet the same fate.

I arrive at the Notch at just after 4:00 pm so I have hiked 11.2 miles in just over 6 hours. I take a photo of the cliffside were Peregrine Falcons nest and drive home to a great dinner my wife has fixed.

No comments: