Welcome to my Blog

This is the first time I have ever blogged so mistakes will likely be the order of the day! This past winter I committed myself to hiking the Vermont Long Trail (LT) in a series of day and overnight hikes over the course of hopefully no more than two summers. I have decided to create a blog to document my adventures and to provide a chance for any photos I take to be viewed by anyone interested in hiking in general or the LT specifically. I am a novice hiker whose prior experience basically consists of earning the hiking merit badge as a 12 year old. My father and I took five 10-mile hikes and one 20-mile hike as a part of earning the badge in 1974. Since that time I have hiked occasionally but never seriously. I was a long distance runner for many years and am in better than typical shape though in recent years my focus has been on weight lifting more than on endurance activity. I expect the trek to be challenging but manageable.

Monday, November 24, 2008

11-23-2008 New Boston Trail Day Hike



On Sunday, November 23, 2008 I took a short day hike to try out my new ice spikes. They work well. I arrive at the New Boston Trailhead (1,940 ft above sea level) at 9:30 am. It was sunny and 20 degrees with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. The hike up follows a snow mobile trail for about 0.6 miles and then veers north up to the David Logan Shelter (2,640 ft). This is the same shelter that I had to run to in a hail storm when out on the Long Trail in September.


I did not wear my spikes up the trail and therefore I did not make good time even though the trail was not that slippery or steep. I wore the spikes down and was able to move at my traditional pace. I got back to the car around 11:15 am covering 2.0 miles.

I then drove over to Aiken State Forest and the Bald Mountain Trail. This is the trail that I almost got stuck on overnight because it got dark on me and I couldn't find my way down. I wanted to reclimb it and figure out what I had done wrong before. This time I missed the turn off of the woods road that leads up the mountain and I kept hiking down the woods road. The path was pleasant and so, when I realized I'd missed my turn, I decided to just keep going. I turned around and hiked back arriving at my car at 1:30 pm covering about 2 1/2 miles.

I guess this particular trail is not going to cooperate with me - I'll have to try one more time someday.

No comments: