Welcome to my Blog

This is the first time I have ever blogged so mistakes will likely be the order of the day! This past winter I committed myself to hiking the Vermont Long Trail (LT) in a series of day and overnight hikes over the course of hopefully no more than two summers. I have decided to create a blog to document my adventures and to provide a chance for any photos I take to be viewed by anyone interested in hiking in general or the LT specifically. I am a novice hiker whose prior experience basically consists of earning the hiking merit badge as a 12 year old. My father and I took five 10-mile hikes and one 20-mile hike as a part of earning the badge in 1974. Since that time I have hiked occasionally but never seriously. I was a long distance runner for many years and am in better than typical shape though in recent years my focus has been on weight lifting more than on endurance activity. I expect the trek to be challenging but manageable.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Cooley Glen and Battell Trail Day Hike



On Sunday, October 18, 2008 I was able to slip out for a day hike. I arrive at the trailhead of Cooley Glen Trail on a beautiful cloudless day of 40 degrees at 11:30 am. This 6.5 mile up and back side trail climbs Mount Cleveland from its western side. The trailhead is at 1,520 feet above sea level.

The trail follows a very pretty stream called the New Haven River. It was flowing about twice as strong as most of the streams I've hiked along, so I guess that qualifies it as a river. After 0.4 miles I cross a bridge to the north side of the stream. I pause and put on my jacket and gloves as it is cool and getting cooler as I start the ascent.

In short order I am removing my jacket and gloves as I start to sweat from the climb. In addition to the main stream, I cross several small tributaries along the way. I make the 3.25 ascent rapidly given that I climb to 3,130 feet and I reach Cooley Glen Shelter at about 1:00 pm. The climb down goes rapidly and I arrive at my vehicle at 2:00 pm having covered 6.5 miles in 2.5 hours - a very respectable pace given the leaves covering the trail.

I then drive about 20 minutes to the Trailhead of the Battell Trail, a 4.0 mile up and back trail that leads to the Battell Shelter just 600 ft from the summit of Mt. Abraham. The trail looks steep on the map but I decide I can handle a 2.0 mile climb. I start out at 2:30 pm. There are few flat sections on this trail and I am hoping as I climb that I am moving at about 1.5 miles per hour. There are no rivers or roads along the way that are marked on the map so I can't tell how fast I'm progressing. I stop briefly several times to wipe away the sweat from my eyes even though the temperature hovers around 40 degrees. Just when I figure I have 30 minutes more to go, I round a turn and there is the long trail. I have climbed 2.0 miles in one hour and 3 minutes! The climb down goes slowly compared to the last trail as the route is steep and leaves have fallen everywhere. I actually slip and fall at one point but my hiking staff helps break the fall and it is more of a tumble - wounding only my pride. I make it back to the car in 50 minutes and so it is just shy of 4:30 as I head for home. I have climbed from 1,473 feet to 3,249 feet and back over 4.0 miles in less than 2.0 hours.

Today's hikes total over 10 miles and have been fast and fun!

No comments: