Welcome to my Blog

This is the first time I have ever blogged so mistakes will likely be the order of the day! This past winter I committed myself to hiking the Vermont Long Trail (LT) in a series of day and overnight hikes over the course of hopefully no more than two summers. I have decided to create a blog to document my adventures and to provide a chance for any photos I take to be viewed by anyone interested in hiking in general or the LT specifically. I am a novice hiker whose prior experience basically consists of earning the hiking merit badge as a 12 year old. My father and I took five 10-mile hikes and one 20-mile hike as a part of earning the badge in 1974. Since that time I have hiked occasionally but never seriously. I was a long distance runner for many years and am in better than typical shape though in recent years my focus has been on weight lifting more than on endurance activity. I expect the trek to be challenging but manageable.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Long Trail

The Vermont Long Trail is a 272 mile footpath (with 185 miles of side trails) that navigates from Massachusetts to the Canadian border. The trail follows the main ridgeline of the Green Mountains and climbs Vermont's highest peaks. The LT was built between 1910 and 1930 by the Green Mountain Club and is the oldest long distance hiking trail in the US. As I hike the trail I will provide my own descriptions (and photos) of my experience coupled with trail descriptions and information taken from a variety of sources. Thus, I make the disclaimer now that I will sometimes use the work of others to describe my own experience when it fits. Mileage and other factual information will generally be obtained from the LONG TRAIL GUIDE published by the Green Mountian Club and available for $18.95 by calling the Club at (802) 244-7037. I hope you enjoy this blog and would love to hear from you if you wish to write. So,...let's break a leg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if old balding guys should hike. Did you check with your doctor first?